Pain is bad, yet it is both important and unwanted. Pain is the best symptom if you need some motivation for a quick doctor visit, however in most cases people do not visit doctors – they seek some quick medicine for pain relief. Some of these medicines are pain killers which are pretty bad of our overall health. They have side effects that create problems in the long run.
Pain is helpful as a symptom but the shortcoming with pain is that it is not under our direct control. It does not go away by just wishing so.
Here, in this article we are going to cover some foods that help in fighting pain.
Garlic – Garlic hits the top spot among spices when it comes to lowering back pain – that is if you can stand its taste. One has to eat just one or two cloves of raw garlic in the very morning before you eat anything else. Its taste is enough to insure a bad morning mood, but in the long run it will help you in lowering back pain.
Green Tea – You must have heard about the weight loss, antioxidants properties and other benefits of drinking green tea, but here, we are presenting you with yet another benefit of green tea. Green tea has shown to help cartilage and bone growth thus helping in pain relief against arthritis.
Mint – You must have tasted peppermint at some point in your life and am sure you have liked its taste. This is because of menthol which is present in the mint that gives a sense of freshness and it also helps in treating muscle pain, headaches etc.
Papaya – Among fruits, papaya is known to beat pain and provide relief as it contain an enzyme called papain.
Olive oil – an excellent pain reliever as contains properties which help in pain relieving and anti-inflammation.
Cherries – This is one of those foods that do not require any benefits to be eaten as the taste alone is enough for someone to eat it. However, cherries, along with a lot of other health benefits, are also a pain reliever.
Berries – Let it be strawberry, blackberry, blueberries, raspberries as these contains some of the most powerful antioxidants which helps in lowering pain.
Salmon – Salmon, sardines etc. are kind of fish that are rich in omega3 fatty acids which are some of the best foods that helps in keeping a good and fit backbone. With omega3, the blood flow improves and thus important minerals are transported to the last of the bones in the backbone.
Walnuts – For those that are vegetarians who can’t eat salmon to get omega3 fatty acids can use walnuts as replacement, as these contains plenty of omega3 fatty acids.
Spinach – Spinach contains vitamin K which is excellent in fighting pain. Eat a bit of spinach along with other foods during lunch to gain its many other health benefits along with pain fighting.
There is no limit in finding foods that fight pain, be it spices like turmeric or ginger or drinks as simple as coffee and cranberry juice or perhaps even yogurt or pumpkin seeds.
About the Guest Blogger – Author is a health enthusiast who believes that food can be the best medicine. He usually writes on topics like how to stay out of the hospital, how to treat sickness on your own, and when you should look to Buy Celebrex or other medicines if a health problem is getting serious.
Fad diets come and go. Some become enormously popular and have a short lived life, while others hang on in niche markets.
Here are 10 of the greatest fad diets.
The Paleo Diet – The paleo diet is based around the foods that cavemen ate. Therefore there are no heavily processed foods. All foods in this diet have to be fresh and therefore tend to have a higher nutritional count. The paleo diet is the latest fad that has been popular and all the rage.
The Atkins Diet – The Atkins diet is designed around the removal of all carbs from the diet. Replacing them are higher amounts of fat and protein. The Atkins diet exploded in popularity as individuals saw tons of success in losing weight with, but it has become less popular over time.
Raw Food – What has been noticed by many is the nutritional loss from food when it is cooked. Raw foodists don’t cook food and therefore extract more nutrition from these raw foods over time. They tend to be healthier and don’t have to worry about having highly processed foods either as they are strictly forbidden.
Sushi and Fish Diet – The high protein and low fat contents of fish have led some to try for sushi and fish diets to improve health. What scares off some from this diet is the high mercury content of fish, which can cause many different health problems.
Ovo-Diets – This diet concentrates on the eating of eggs and has higher levels of protein as well. Eggs have virtually all the nutrition needed for an individual, though generally speaking, these diets may lead to higher cholesterol levels.
Juice Diets – Juice diets became popular with many who use additives such as whey powder and even matcha green tea powder to make the juice even healthier. These juices served as meal replacements and led to a healthier diet overall. Many have criticized the diet for the high sugar diet of all time.
The Low Fat Diet – Many people believe that in order to diet you have to eliminate fat from your diet. While that is not exactly true, low fat diets have become popular and will remain so for years to come. These diets limit oil, butter, and other fat additions and tend to be steamed or cooked in a lighter way. As such, often times these meals tend to not be as tasty as other meals.
The Mediterranean Diet – This diet is designed around the eating habits of the Mediterranean people, which tends to have high usage of olive oils, fresh seafood, plenty of vegetables, and many other local specialties including olives and wine. Fava beans are another common ingredient in this diet.
Fasting Diet – Fasters do not eat for long periods of time and believe that doing so is healthy and helps regular your body more efficiently. Some go days and up to weeks without food. The science may even be behind this diet as there is evidence that fasting limits the creation of free radicals in your body which are healthier for you.
Dash Diet – This diet is designed to lower your sodium level and ultimately your blood pressure. The removal of sodium from foods is done in combination with the eating of more vegetables and fruits as well.
There are a lot of healthy herbs available you may not have known about. Since ancient times these herbs have detoxified our bodies, and then used to purify the soul mind and body of countless generations.
Here is a partial list of some of the herbs available:
Curcumin: Found within turmeric, this herb has special properties known to delay or prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s disease. It also has other anti-inflammatory properties, with volatile oils, antioxidants and nutrients and other chemicals within the herb that are known to partially prevent cancer of the pancreas and colon.
Burdock Root: These roots are low in sodium and calories, and the dried seeds, young shoots, and peeled stalks contain many compounds that have disease preventing, health promoting, and antioxidant actions. It contains many vitamins and minerals in small amounts that achieve a better overall health.
Chives: This member of the onion family contains extremely high amounts of vitamin A in vitamin K, and helped limit brain damage based on neuronal activity, and are known to help with Alzheimer’s disease prevention as well.
Dandelions: Dandelions have a natural high vitamin A composition that lends itself well to the prevention of lung and oral cancers, and can even help your eyes adjust to UV rays better. A great source of potassium, iron, magnesium and other minerals, dandelions have a wealth of health benefits.
Parsley: Parsley is rich in antioxidants, dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals. This can prevent constipation and can help with your overall cholesterol level in blood. It also contains volatile oils that promote and benefit your health and other various ways.
Ginger: Has been used since ancient times for its antimicrobial, anti-flatulence, and anti-inflammatory properties. There is a chemical compound within ginger that has been proven effective in combating E. coli bacteria diarrhea in children. Ginger is high in potassium, and potassium is central to controlling both your blood pressure and your heart rate. Furthermore Ginger has been used to combat the common cold, coughing, and sore throats in common practice.
Savory: One of the important essential oils is present in savory and lends itself to anti-fungal and antiseptic properties among other things. Other compounds in savory combat E. coli bacteria in Bacillus bacteria and retard it’s growth. It also has a pleasant taste, and can be used in most foods liberally. It also is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals for general overall health. It is also high in iron, which is essential for healthy red blood cell formations.
Stevia: Although very popular and in use today, the leaves of the Stevia plant has always been found to be about 300 times sweeter than sugar. Some of the compounds present in Stevia show that they reduce pancreatic cancer by 23%.
Thyme: Thyme has a number of properties and compounds within it that are shown to promote healthy neurotransmitter function in the brain, and has stress reducing benefits. It has high levels of vitamin A and vitamin C, which promote better resistance to disease.
Oregano: Oregano has a large number of health benefits, among them relief of menstruation discomfort, colds, influenza, indigestion, common stomach upsets, mild fevers and it helps the gallbladder secrete properly. It can also work as a stimulant and mild tonic as well as an expectorant. Common in many foods, oregano has a variety of health benefits.
Choose the Best of Diets for you This Season
There are several reasons to go on a diet – from wanting to be bikini-ready, to ensuring you are the optimal weight for your build. Staying healthy and trim is the basis of a good lifestyle. Diets come and go, and while some work, others don’t. There are those that have stood the test of time and continue to remain popular. Here is a look at some of the most famous diets and why one of them could work miracles for you.
The Paleo Diet - This is a throwback to the diets followed during the agricultural revolution. You won’t be touching any dairy or grains and will not have foods that have been processed. Your diet will consist of a lot of meat, seafood and fruits. The advantage is that you still eat wholesome food despite being on a diet.
Cabbage Soup Diet - This is a week-long diet designed to help lose weight almost instantly. Cabbage soup remains the central focus of every meal, or any other vegetable soup for that matter. It is coupled with a few other key ingredients. The advantage is how soon you will be able to lose weight visibly.
Atkins Diet – This is a diet that helps you lose weight and improve on memory. It focuses on low-carb eating. This decreases your insulin levels. It is also a diet partial to fatty foods. It’s been an enduring diet for a long while now.
HCG Diet – hCG is a reference to a hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin. There are several products available off the counter that contain this and guarantee that you will lose weight, but the after-effects can be dangerous.
Gluten-free Diet - Gluten is a substance found in some popular grains. Individuals suffering from celiac disease and others can’t tolerate. Cutting this substance from your diet will give you immense relief from stomachaches, head pains as well as a weak stomach.
Dukan Diet – This is a four-phase low carb diet that starts you off on low-fat and high-protein foods. After a while, you include vegetables and then gradually all the foods that it initially forbids. From this list of permitted foods, you can have your fill whenever you like. It offers a sense of balance and does not leave you craving.
Dr. Oz Diet – The ever popular Dr, Oz says that smaller helpings of food made from fresh produce, proteins that are lean and whole grains can help you lose as much as 100 calories each day.
The South Beach Diet – This diet was created to give you a healthy heart. It also works at reducing weight levels. It’s hard to have a healthy heart if you’re overweight. It limits carbs and encourages healthy fats. All through the diet, you are encouraged to eat small portions and be smart about your snacking.
17-day diet – This diet consists of 3 sets of 17-day diets at the end of which you have another 17-day cycle as a follow-up. With this diet, you lose weight, There is no monotony, and you help speed up your metabolism by avoiding sugar as well as processed and fried foods.
Dash diet – If you need to lose weight and decrease your blood pressure, this is the diet for you. More than being a weight loss program, it is a guide that helps you choose smarter meals as well as snacks leading to weight loss. On this diet, you will eat a lot of whole grains as well as fruits and vegetables and a lot of low-fat dairy products. Fish and meat are also on the cards.
The kidneys and the liver play a vital role in maintaining good health. Both the organs function together to remove waste materials from the body and the failure of either of them is usually fatal, unless a transplant can be arranged. Continuous exposure to toxic chemicals and pollutants can result in the liver and kidneys being overworked and often failing after a particular age.
Several wholesome methods are available for a thorough and healthy detox cleansing of these harmful toxins. One of the easiest and most natural ways to do so is to use herbs and plants found in nature. The medicinal effects of these herbs have plants have been known for millennia, and their use is completely safe when performed in moderation. Let’s go over the top ten herbs to detoxify the liver and the kidneys in the list below.
1. Silybum Marianum (Milk Thistle): The most significant herb which supports efficient liver functioning, it is recommended for those suffering from any liver ailment. It is known to reduce the harmful effects of alcohol consumption on the liver. Milk thistle is particularly effective at countering the side effects of high dose medication on the liver. A component called silymum in Milk Thistle also helps promote liver cell regeneration.
2. Majority of the herbs utilized in cleansing the kidney have a slight diuretic effect. Unlike artificially manufactured diuretics, herbal remedies are mild on your body and don’t result in dehydration if used properly. They also have an antibacterial effect and leave a soothing sensation. Urtica dioca (stinging nettle) is one such well known weed. Such weeds not only help in soothing the lining of urinary tract but also eliminate excess fluid. However, some useful vitamins and minerals are also lost.
3. Dandelion is probably not a very popular weed. Also known as Taraxacum officinale, it is difficult to believe its medicinal usefulness. The flowers and leaves are used as additives in salads in the form of a tonic and a mixture of its root and leaves have medicinal effects. Its antioxidant properties are well known along with its high mineral and vitamin content. Dandelion’s positive properties are used in cleansing of the kidneys and the liver. Its leaves are highly beneficial for the kidneys while the roots help in increasing the bile of the liver to clear harmful toxins. Care should be taken not to take dandelion leaves in high doses, as it can be a very strong diuretic.
4. Bearberry, also known as Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, is a native of North America and is used for its remarkable medicinal properties. It cleanses the kidneys by acting as a potent diuretic. The herb is used in treating infections occurring in the kidney and bladder as it works as a natural antibiotic. The leaves of Bearberry possess the majority of its medicinal properties and are safe for consumption in moderate amounts. The best form of use is in the form of a tincture. Ideally, 10 to 20 drops in water taken thrice a day is recommended.
5. Barberry: Barberry, or Berberis Vulgaris, is traditionally used to enhance liver function in order to encourage bile flow in the liver. It works as an excellent spleen remedy as it helps in combating gall-bladder inflammation and helps dissolve gall stones.
6. Gravel root: Gravel root is a prominent diuretic that enables the removal of waste by assisting in eliminating toxins along with supporting kidney functions. Gravel roots along with hydrangea can be used to treat several kinds of urinary infections.
7. Burdock root is a cholagogue and a blood cleanser which helps in detoxifying both the kidneys and the liver.
8. Artichoke: Artichoke is a type of herb which is chlorogenic, neochlorogenic and rich in cynarin, which protects the liver as well as lowers the cholesterol level in blood.
9. Schizandra Chinensis: Schisandra is normally a supporting additive in herbal detox mixtures. It contains lignans, which protects the liver by activating enzymes for producing glutathione. Glutanthione works as an antioxidant.
10. Licorice Root: Licorice stimulates the adrenal glands to secrete cortisol. Cortisol increases the water and sodium retention capacity of the kidneys, and hence regulates blood pressure. Moreover, cortisol is a known regeneration hormone. Its effects extend not only to detoxing the kidneys, but the entire body.
About the Guest Blogger – Anu is a vegetarian athlete, who relies primarily on herbs and green vegetables to keep healthy and build muscle mass. He occasionally writes guest posts for fitness sites like betterhealthliving.org and hivehealthmedia.com
13 does not sounds like a happy number, right? None the less, the New Year has already rolled in and most of us have already moved into our offices and work places to carry out our regular activities. Celebrations are already done and regular life and the stress and worries it brings have started to make us feel down already. Thirteen or not, life is always busy and full of stress – less time for fun and more time for work.
Let’s not worry about the number anymore and start working towards making this 13 a happy and healthy year.
To make you happy in 2013, we have compiled a list of 13 foods that boosts your mood and make you happy.
Walnuts – Who does not like walnuts? We can all agree that it is Tasty and full of – the all-powerful omega3 fatty acids which, apart from other health benefits, boosts mood exponentially.
Carrots – This root vegetable is great for health, eat it raw or cook it, juice it or boil it, whichever way you want to eat it – it is your choice, as the health content of carrot it huge. The vitamin biotin, which is available in carrots, is thought to lift moods and help remove fatigue.
Parsley – This is a great food for the brain, makes you more present minded by increasing your alertness. A happy and healthy brain is the base for you’re over all happiness.
Strawberries – This particular type of berry is perhaps the most helpful one when it comes to improving our mood.
Chocolate – Now, this does not need introduction. If you eat chocolate, you will be happy. However, when it comes to getting euphoria, chocolate does it the best.
Ice-cream – Again, we all know ice cream can make us happy, this is mainly due to the fact that ice cream comes from milk which is rich in protein, vitamin a, calcium etc.
Bananas – It is rich in potassium, which is good for keeping a healthy nerve. The naturally available sugar of banana is many times better than the artificial ones available, making it a great mood booster.
Oranges – This is an excellent option if you are looking for anti-oxidants. Also, it is rich in vitamin c, vitamin b and flavonoids – which makes it a good food to keep us happy.
Yogurt – This is one of the healthiest foods available on this list. Being a pro-biotic, yogurt helps in keeping a healthy stomach. Rich in calcium, protein, makes it a very healthy food that makes us happy.
Honey – Honey can be used as an alternative to artificial sugars, and perhaps it is the best alternative we got. Apart from the excellent taste, it is also a natural anti-depressant.
Tomatoes – This vegetable is rich in antioxidant Lycopene, which helps in keeping a healthy brain, thus making you an overall happy person.
Eggs – Rich in protein, zinc, omega3 fatty acids etc. eggs are not only good for health, but it also keeps your stomach full for a longer time.
Coconut – Eat the white stuff in the inside of the coconut for a very happy mood. The stored ones with added stuffs are usually not good, try eating the naturally available coconut for better health.
About the Guest Blogger – Author is a health enthusiast who likes to eat healthy food, do regular exercise and yoga. When it comes to happiness, mental peace is equally important and one of those ways to keep a happy and peaceful mind is to have Aviva Health. Change your lifestyle, do the good things and stay healthy.
For the past month or so, we kept talking about health benefits of various fruits and vegetables. Am sure you must have eaten some fresh green vegetables, or fresh juicy fruits? But still, eating and chewing might not appeal to many when they can actually drink the same.
Yes, we are talking about Juicing, the easy method of extracting juice from fruits and vegetables and drinking them in peace. While drinking the juice is both tasty and easy, compared to chewing vegetables, the health benefits remains the same, or in some cases gets increased due to the combination.
Following are the health benefits of Juicing.
Source - 51415056@N08
More in less portions – Imagine eating and chewing for an hour, you stomach might get full in the process. However, when it comes to drinking the same vegetable in juice form, it contains at least 5 times more nutrition value compared to it’s whole form. Just drink one glass of carrot juice and you are done for the day.
Kids and their tantrums – Ever tried to feed a kid broccoli? Sounds like an impossible idea for many. However, if you were just to juice it in a mixer grinder and make a small glassful of it, even consuming it yourself will be loads easier.
Cleaning the System – Our body constantly repairs and removes damaged cells. Juicing helps in this process, as there is hardly anything in the vegetable juice to digest, so it gets into the system quickly and clean it.
Lever Detox – You must have heard how detoxification is important to your health. Talking about liver, since it clean blood all the time and juicing enters the blood stream real quick and then gets into the liver and clean it as well. This is an important step as far as self-detoxification is concerned.
It is cheap – Yes, money matters and while you always thought that buying a juicer would cost plenty, you just cannot be further from truth. Vegetables are always cheap, and they are way healthy compared to animal protein. Any vegetable juice is much cheaper compared to meat or fish.
It is quick – Imagine chewing bowl full of vegetables, not tasty for sure and the time it takes is an extra burden. Now if you were to juice, it would just take a few sips and you are done. Some excellent vegetable based Healthy and nutritious food, right down under your throat in a matter of seconds. What else can you ask for?
All nutrition intact – Juicing does not kills the nutrition of the original fruit or vegetable. For example, if you drink carrot juice, the vitamins and minerals that are available in the carrot, goes into the juice. So the juice is pretty much as good as the vegetable itself. However, I must mention that some fiber does get lost in the process, so perhaps not making it really fine; rather keeping some amount of pulp in the juice might be a good idea.
There is not much of a difference between eating the vegetables raw compared to having it juiced, but the question is, will you eat the vegetables raw? For most people, the answer is no, hence juicing is an alternative which is pretty efficient in getting those vegetables into your stomach without much hard work. Also, the same is true for fruit juices. Eating apples raw might seem like a time taking work but having it in juice form not only reduces consumption time but also makes it tasty.
About the Guest Blogger – Guest blogger likes to eat vegetables both raw and in juice form, as jucing has so many health benefits and is easy to make and quick to consume, he recommends juicing for fat loss
Cucumbers, formally called Cucumis sativus, are one of the most popular vegetables farmed in the world. They belong to the same family as melons and squash. On average, they grow up to 12 inches. However, there are some types of cucumbers that can grow up to 20 inches. Read more
Wheat kernel is basically consists of wheat germ. The term germ means Germination. The wheat germ offer nutrients, omega fatty acid and vitamin E. It is also a source of fiber and protein.
Wheat germ is generally found in medical food stores. The little nugget comes in three types such as, fresh, roasted and as oil. The wheat germ is widely considered beneficial for skin and hair because of the presence of vitamin E. This powerful antioxidant naturally protects skin cells from dangerous ultra-violate ray and cruel environmental stress. Read more
Udon noodles are an intrinsic part of Japanese cuisine since 9th century. It is a very common meal in Japan which is now extended to rest of the world also.
Udon noodles are thick noodles made of wheat flour which are often coupled with other food items to make different types of dishes.
Health Benefits of Udon Noodles
Source - sifu_renka
- Udon noodles are a healthier choice than other types of noodles because they have less salt, provide more nutrition and thus are more nourishing for the body.
- They are easy to digest because of their softness. Many laboratory experiments have concluded that udon noodles dissolve much faster than other pastas and also three times faster than beef.
- Udon noodles’ nutritional value is similar as that of pasta and thus can easily form a part of your healthy diet plan.
- A 2 oz. serving of plain udon noodles results into an intake of around 80 calories only. However this calorie count tends to increase when these noodles are prepared with other food stuffs. Besides, this calorie count also varies with the type of flour which has been used for making the udon noodles- wheat, corn, etc. But the least calories are found in the wheat udon noodles.
- Udon noodles generate such heat in the body which lasts longer as compared to other noodles. That’s why it is a favorite food of Japanese in winters.
- These noodles can also be eaten with soup, stews, vegetables, etc. thus increasing the overall benefits. Also it enables us to stay away from boredom of eating a same dish again and again as many new dishes can be tried with udon noodles.
- The basic ingredient of udon noodles is wheat; thus it is a potential source of carbohydrates. You can get up to 40 grams of carbohydrates from just 2 oz. serving of udon noodles, which is about 15 percent of the carbohydrate needed by your body daily. Carbohydrates are needed by the human body for sustained energy.
- The glycemic index of plain udon noodles is 62; thus providing a better blood sugar control.
- Udon noodles are helpful for those who do not want to put on weight as they help you to maintain a healthy weight. Thus it can also be enjoyed by those people who follow a strict diet. And girls will no longer have to worry about their weight while having the meal.
- They also reduce the chances of chronic heart diseases and diabetes and so can be enjoyed by heart patients also.
- Udon noodles contain a very limited quantity of fat; and no saturated fats. Saturated fats are a main reason of the increase in cholesterol level but there is only 1 gram fat and 0 gram saturated fat in one 2 oz. serving of udon noodles. Wow! That’s something amazing- no saturated fats at all. Thus this food is absolutely cholesterol free.
- These noodles also provide you with rich protein content. You get about 7 grams of protein from a 2 oz. serving of dry udon noodles. However the quantity of amino acids is restricted but it can be covered up by eating udon noodles along with the vegetables. Also, the brown rice udon has the complementary amino acids of rice and wheat. The protein content procured from udon noodles is of high quality too.
- Buckwheat is a primary constituent of udon noodles and is also a rich source of iron; and thus Udon noodles when eaten with green and leafy vegetables provide you with the immense content of iron. This is so because vitamin C is required by our body to absorb iron; and vitamin C can be procured from vegetables. Thus catering the need of iron for our body. Iron is an important need of human body for healthy red blood cells.
- Due to presence of buckwheat in it, udon noodles also provide you with the minerals like sodium, choline, vitamin P, rutin, etc.
- Besides, udon noodles and green vegetables together are a potential supplier of potassium. Potassium is needed by the human body for regulating the blood pressure.
- Udon noodles are a superior and far better alternative to fast food like burgers, pizzas and fries. They not only provide various minerals and nutrients required for proper growth and development of human brain and body; but are also delicious and tasty enough. Thus, kids will not have the problem of obesity on eating udon noodles.
Udon noodles are fast to cook and can be prepared in less time with no compromise with taste and nutritional value. For example, Udon noodles soup can be prepared in about 15 minutes. These noodles are not like other fast foods which are not safe to consume. Rather, consumption of these noodles has the positive effect on our health.