12 Health Benefits of Niacin
Most of the people who are not healthy enough to produce the necessary fluids in their bodies naturally rely on medical supplements. These supplements help their bodies to produce the missing elements, so that the bodily functions could be performed regularly. Niacin is one such supplement.
Niacin is a subsequent form of Vitamin B3, which is produced naturally in body and is known to relieve numerous body ailments. Besides curing illness, Niacin has several other benefits, which mankind has discovered after years of research and examination. The primary health benefits of Niacin are given in the lines below.
Health Benefits of Niacin
Source – veganfeast
1. Blood Circulation – Niacin plays a crucial in the production of a compound called Histamine, which is responsible for dilation of blood vessels, as a result of which the circulation of blood in the body improves. Dilated blood vessels lead to proper circulation of blood in feet, hands, and all other parts of body, which is very necessary if you want to prevent atherosclerosis, which in simple terms is referred to as hardening of arteries. Niacin by increasing blood circulation ultimately decreases the chances of heart attack and any other cardiovascular disease.
2. Cholesterol Levels – Among all the medications available in the market for controlling cholesterol, the ones that contain Niacin supersede all others. Niacin is a magical element that helps keep low the LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Niacin not only decreases the bad cholesterol level, in the mean time it also increases the HDL level, which is good for body. Niacin decreases the LDL levels from 5-25%, whereas, it increases the HDL level from 15-35%. Already victims of heart attack can reduce the chances of second heart attack by taking Niacin in combination with cholesterol-lowering drugs.
3. Skin Health – Niacin has also been found to be very beneficial for treating skin problems. The major skin problems that can be treated with Niacin are:
- Sagging skin
- Dull skin
Regular use of Niacin can help cure all these problems. Niacin is also known to retain the moisture of the skin, thus making it more elastic. You can use Niacin supplements, but the best way to observe its effects on skin is to increase its intake naturally in the form of green vegetables, grains, meats, and fish.
4. Diabetes Prevention – Niacin contains a substance called niancinamide, which is believed to help in delaying the onset of insulin dependence for diabetes-I patients. Examination performed on animals shows that niancinamide substantially improves the positive effects of drugs taken to fight diabetes. Niacin can also help in treating type II diabetes, but the use of it is very risky, hence it should only be used after proper consultation with your doctor or physician.
5. Osteoarthritis – Besides reducing the muscle and joint fatigue, Niacin can also help in increasing the strength of muscles. Niacinamide substantially increases joint mobility. These features of Niacin make it an ideal substance to treat osteoarthritis. A regular dose of Niacin for about three-four months can show obvious difference in treatment.
Niacin, because of its anti-inflammatory effects can also be used to treat rheumatoid arthritis. In taking Niacin regularly, can help rebuild the worn out cartilage in arthritis patients.
6. Sleep – Niacin has also been found to be beneficial for people who suffer with sleeping problems and disorders. Niacin has special sleep-inducing abilities, which can resolve problems related to sleep, and give you a sound sleep.
7. Digestion – Niacin is a crucial component of human digestive system. A sufficient amount of it keeps your appetite healthy, the results of which can be seen in the form of glowing skin and good nerves.
8. Energy – Niacin along with other Vitamins performs the essential function of converting and breaking proteins, fats, and carbohydrates into energy.
9. Water Soluble – Our body is in constant need of vitamins, the body in urination and sweating discharges most of the vitamins. Niacin is a water-soluble vitamin, therefore, you can keep up the supply of vitamins to your body by drinking, Niacin dissolved in water.
10. Pellagra – Pellagra a body condition that can result in death of a person is caused mainly due to the deficiency of Niacin in the body. People who have symptoms of Pellagra should seriously consider increasing the dosage of Niacin, so that the symptoms do not expand and cause any discomfort.
11. Mental Health – Niacin has also been attributed to assist in treatment of problems associated with mental health and derangement. A monitored dosage of Niacin in the form of supplements can help in problems related to mental well being.
12. Sex – Niacin is also considered as a trigger, which induces the body to secrete sexual hormones in the body, which result in a better libido and sex drive.
Besides the benefits, some symptoms indicate the deficiency of Niacin in body. Some of the major symptoms are:
- Tender gums
- Canker sores
In short, the body produces Niacin naturally, but when the symptoms of its deficiency start appearing, it should not be taken lightly. You can take moderate dose of Niacin in the form of supplements, or drinking it with water, but the wise thing to do would be to consult a doctor, and have the right dose prescribed.
About the Guest Author: – Aileen Simon, a professional writer of health and fitness blogs, works with Infinity Age (IA), a nationwide network of Doctors and Health experts. IA provides a scope for those who want to enhance performance and elongate youthfulness with the help of hormonal treatments including Hormone Replacement Therapy, HGH Therapy, and testosterone therapy for low testosterone treatment. IA offers state of the art services to both men and women so that they can restore their hormonal imbalances and embark on a long-lasting, productive life.